Copyright © Trends and Transitions
Design by Dzignine
Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Cool Corregidor

Superrr late post.

I'm no history buff but I do remember having fun in all my History classes both in elementary and high school and even up to  my first year in college. I used to ace my History exams and I'd often see (or I probably just imagined) my teacher's scowl every time they give the papers back and I got a perfect score... again.

I thought teachers were supposed to be happy that I paid attention and learned from them. Some of them probably thought that their test was too easy. But it wasn't. Otherwise, everyone would have gotten a perfect score. Hehe Not to brag, but I just couldn't help it, my memory was quite good when I was younger. I'd remember every line, every sentence that's been said, and every historically-significant date. It also helps that I had excellent study habits, thanks to my mother. Plus my note-taking skills are superb! Haha #buhatbangko 


That penchant for history and for old things have been rekindled when I got an invitation from two of my closest friends at work. 


The proposition: Php 1,450. One guided day tour of Corregidor. Lunch included. 

I thought, yay! Finally, some "me time"! Thank you, Ensogo. Hahaha Okay, another eight hours of being away from my baby, and on a weekend. I had to think twice, of course. But after talking to ze husband and Epp, I finally agreed to go. Guilt-free. ;) 

The trip was the weekend after a stressful work week (quarter-end, ugh), so I got my husband's permission, (not that I have to ask for his permission every time I leave the baby behind). Haha Okay, I do have to tell him every now and then. Hehe He probably thought I needed the break, too. Yes, I really needed to get away even just for a while. And there's no better way to do that than by a ferry ride! 


So get away we did! 

Corregidor has a lot of stories to tell. We went there at just the right time because we had the perfect weather and it was even made more meaningful by the insightful and comical narrative of our tour guide. Silly me, I forgot his name! (My memory isn't that good anymore. Haha)

Fun Fact: Corregidor is not a part of Bataan (contrary to what most people know, me included). The beautiful island is actually in Cavite! 


I was pleasantly surprised that it was only a 45-minute ferry ride. I thought it was going to be a slightly longer trip. Okay, sorry about being mis-informed but I did not read up on the facts because I wanted to be surprised and also because it's a guided tour so I got lazy.

Sharing with you the pictures... :)



We didn't plan on watching the Light(s) and Sound Show inside the Malinta Tunnel (because access is for an extra Php 200) but the extra charge was well worth it.

Once inside the tunnel, we were welcomed by an amazing voice-over that sounded like we're really in the 1940s. It felt so real! The total darkness in between the 'scene-breaks' helped with the imagery. (Voice-over actor alert: You will hear Joonee Gamboa's very distinct voice in some of the 'scenes').

The show highlights the events leading to the siege of Corregidor, woven in one dramatic narrative with the laterals being used as the stage for each historic event. 

The Lights and Sound Show was actually penned by national artist and film director, Lamberto Avellana and the sculptures used were created by the national artist, Napoleon Abueva. It was a treat! It's art at its finest! :)



Corregidor is a huge island. I even thought that it could house a number of homeless people in Manila if it weren't a historical site. I could only imagine what life was like before World War II for both the Filipinos and Americans who used to live there.

Both the new installations and the old ruins in this historic island are worth spending a little time on, and are worthy of thoughts of their previous state and condition. A guided tour to this historical site is also definitely a good way to educate the younger ones. I would not have minded being brought here as a high school student learning about the country's history. Wouldn't that be cool?

Corregidor Inn
At the tramvia, with friends

The Pacific War Memorial Museum

The Sun Cruises ferry
We all went home even more hungry for stories and historical anecdotes. I can say that, on this trip, I did everything backwards. It was after I went home that I read up and did more research and learned about life in Corregidor and the many astonishing places and ruins on this beautiful island.

0 comments:

Post a Comment